Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snow Magic

That first winter we moved here was magical.  I baked a lot of bread, made a lot of stock.  We sat around talking by candlelight, cozy and warm.  This winter, maybe because of the cold, or maybe because we have a 2 year old, but has been a little magical in the ways of old. 

I haven't made any bread yet (really need to), but I've baked and cooked.  Sewn and crafted things for Eleanor.  Spent time just reading and watching the snow fall. 
Tonight I've made dinner (ham roast with roasted carrots and mashed cauliflower and potato).  Then I'm on my second batch of ham stock (I end up with 2-3 gallons per ham). 

I whipped up a batch of carrot greens pesto that yielded enough for 3 meals (using 2 bunches of carrot greens).  I'd never thought you could use the carrot tops for anything like that, but it tastes fresh and spring-like. 

I've taken all the peel off of the lemon I used for the pesto, and carefully minced it and put it in the freezer.  Peeled ginger and put it in the freezer (apparently it keeps it nicely and makes it easy to grate).  And I have gingerbread biscotti finishing in the oven (my first time making biscotti!). 

So the house is warm and cozy, my 2 year old is out playing in the snow at night (she's snow obsessed and was literally in hysterics wanting to go out), and I'm ready to settle in and work on a few things for her.  And the glow of the moon upon the snow makes it seem just a little more than a regular night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment