Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Tart Cherry: 1 Insomnia: 0

For the last week I have seriously not made it to bed before 5 a.m. any day.  Which I recognize is a problem.  Sleep and I have a love/hate relationship.  I love sleeping once I'm there, but I hate going to sleep.  So much to read!  So much to do!  So much to ponder! 

But I'm been exhausted lately, and finally fed up with my sleep habits.  As much as I like being able to stay up until the sun comes up, I'd like more energy during the day.  It's a clear sign I'm getting older (I used to easily be able to live on 2-3 hours of sleep), and I need to take better care of myself.

So, my aunt e-mailed me suggesting trying tart cherry juice.  Apparently my Uncle Ron takes it, and as I'm pretty sure he's the healthiest person I know, it sounded like sound advice.  I watched a Dr. Oz episode on it, learning about the natural low dose melatonin in it, and bought a bottle of concentrate. 

We're all 3 now drinking it nightly.  Last night was the first night.  We slept in past noon yesterday, so I knew it might be difficult, but before midnight all the lights were out, I was threatening Nora with expulsion from our bedroom if she didn't settle down, and we eventually all fell asleep.

I woke up at 6 a.m.  I told myself I needed to go back to sleep, but quickly realized it wasn't going to happen.  Nora was up before 7:30.  So, here I am, 10 a.m. and debating a morning nap.  But, overall I'm quite impressed by how refreshed I felt by 6 a.m.  I will keep the facebook page updated with how well this tart cherry juice works for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment